Tuesday, May 21, 2013

It's okay to have a bad day.

I'm starting to get into my new job routine. It only took me four weeks. Since it's getting light out earlier, I'm going to start running earlier. I set my alarm for 6am this morning to give myself enough time to get up, take my medicine, use my inhaler and get out the door to be home by 7am. I decided to take the hilly way through town since that's the longest way to go. About a quarter of a mile into it I couldn't breathe at all. It's crazy to think that a few weeks ago I ran a half marathon and did pretty well and could barely run today. I kept trudging my 3 miles around town with a lot of walking. The humidity was 87% so I wasn't going to kill myself to run. I left myself enough time to get home and ready for work.

What I'm slowly learning is that this is process. It's okay if I have a bad morning run. That just makes the finish line at the races better. When I first started, I felt like every run had to be a good one. I'm not saying to skip workouts or walk instead of run. Know your body and listen to it. If you feel like you're going to pass out then take a break! You'll do better in the long run. 
After I got home, I made some chia pudding. I saw it on Pinterest and just added chia seeds to light soy milk. It turned out okay but I didn't leave it set long enough so it was kind of setting In my mouth. 

Ways to get up for a morning run:
1.) Sleep in your running cloths. When you wake up you're ready to go. 
2.) Get everything ready that you need for after your run. Ex. If you have I work, pack your lunch, iron you cloths and get stuff ready the night before. 
3.) Go to sleep earlier. If you need to get up an hour earlier then go to sleep an hour earlier. The more you lag to get out of bed the harder it is. 
4.) No matter how much you want to sleep in, don't. You'll feel so much more energized after your run/workout. 
5.) Give yourself enough time before and after your workout to get ready so you aren't rushing. 

I'm naturally a morning person. I've never had to hit snooze on my alarm so if you aren't a morning person, this may not be as effective. This is what helps prepare me for my morning runs and workouts. 

What advice would you add to my list?
Are you a morning person or a night owl?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that sleeping in your running/workout clothes is key, along with prepping your stuff the night before. I've recently become a morning person, and though it's still tough at times to get out of bed at 5:30, it's worth it! Running outside is so peaceful as the sun rises! Great advice, Missy!
    ~mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5:30 can be rough! Haha I can honestly say that watching the sunrise while I'm running is so peaceful and fulfilling. It's a great way to start the day! Good luck training for your first half! :)

      Delete