Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's time to speak.

This is one of those tragedies where you'll never forget where you were when you found out about what happened. Monday April 15, 2013 I was in the produce section of Walmart. I got a text from one of my best friends from San Francisco asking if I was there. Jokingly, not knowing what happened, I answered back, "Hell no haha I was trying to watch it on TV but then realized I didn't have the channel. " He then explained to me what happened and told me his CEO was there but had already finished and was safe.
You'll never forget where you were or what you were doing. I was in shock, I didn't know what to do or say. As I got on twitter, I saw a ton of posts of people trying to retweet where other runners were to make sure they were safe.

I've never seen so much support from a group of people. I'm proud to be a runner. From Yesterday until May 5, is "Runners united to remember" it's a Facebook group where every run is dedicated to the Boston Marathon and you log your miles. I celebrated with my last long run before the half marathon with a half marathon. Even though I needed my inhaler about 4 times, this was the first time that I wasn't concerned about not being about to breathe or worrying about the pain in my legs. I didn't check my watch every 5 minutes and I wasn't wishing it was over. I just ran. I let my mind drift off and went. It didn't matter what time I finished in because I was doing it for Boston.

It was also a day to wear your race shirt or blue and yellow for the marathon. I don't have many shirts because a few of the races I've done don't give shirts. I chose my turkey trot shirt where I PRed my 5k time that also had yellow in it.




No comments:

Post a Comment